– or more commonly known as WISE – is your gateway to information on European water issues. It comprises a wide range of of data and information collected by EU institutions to serve several stakeholders
WISE is a partnership between the European Commission (DG Environment, Joint Research Centre and Eurostat) and the European Environment Agency, known as “the Group of Four” (Go4). The main roles and responsibilities of the partners are:
• DG Environment, leads the policy and strategic aspect of WISE. It liases with Member States, especially on official reporting requirements of EU water legislation.
For more information: http://ec.europa.eu/environment/water/index.html
• The European Environment Agency hosts the Water Data Centre and the thematic WISE webpages.
For more information: http://www.eea.europa.eu/themes/water/dc
• The Joint Research Centre conducts environmental monitoring and water resources modelling including nowcasting and forecasting services.
For more information: http://ies.jrc.ec.europa.eu/the-institute/units/rural-water-and-ecosystem-resources-unit.html
• Eurostat is collecting and disseminating water statistics, also as a part of WISE data and themes, and provides significant input in the development of the GIS part of WISE and in particular ensuring the link to INSPIRE.
For more information: http://epp.eurostat.ec.europa.eu/